- Pro-Life: I am 100% Pro-Life and will passionately advocate for the sanctity of human life at every age and stage. Our Creator endows us with the gift of life, and it is our sacred responsibility to protect it. I co-sponsored HB 5 and HB 148 in the 2019 General Assembly Session, in order to expand the protection of unborn life here in the Commonwealth.
- Pro-2nd Amendment: Our Second Amendment rights are constantly on the brink of being jeopardized by liberal activists and those who would willfully distort the U.S Constitution. It is imperative that all efforts be made on the state and federal level to uphold the 2nd Amendment. I am an active member of the NRA, and I fully support our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I will fight to ensure that these rights "shall not be infringed", as the Founders intended. I filed HB 327, Constitutional Carry, and carried the senate version of this bill to its passage in the 2019 General Assembly Session. Kentucky is now the 16th state to allow law-abiding citizens to exercise their 2nd Amendment right without having to ask the government for permission, or pay recurrent fees to be able to do so.
- Fiscal Conservatism- As a fiscal conservative, I will be dedicated to achieving solvency in the state budget in order to secure a promising future for all Kentuckians. Addressing excessive spending is an important part of balancing a budget, and sensible measures must be taken to preserve the constitutionally allocated functions of state government. I oppose the proposed "Gas Tax". Although it is imperative that more revenue is generated to maintain Kentucky's roadways- I feel that the legislature must first analyze tax expenditures within the Road Fund before raising taxes on hard-working Kentuckians.
- Education- Providing a quality education for all Kentucky students is a top priority. It is essential to establish a firm educational foundation for every generation and to equip our future workforce with the tools needed to succeed and enrich our communities.
- Standing firm on the Drug Epidemic- Eradicating the scourge of addiction is not something that can be accomplished by enabling it. It is essential that addiction programs focus on holistic rehabilitation-not reducing people to statistics. Methods currently in place are not working, as we have endeavored to treat the symptoms of this problem instead of addressing the root cause. I firmly believe that prevention is a far more effective means of ending the drug crisis, and we achieve that by expanding opportunities and resources for at-risk groups *before* they fall prey to addiction. Unemployment is the greatest cause of recidivism in reference to any criminal activity, and drug abuse is no different.
- Supportive of Law Enforcement- It is imperative that we stand with those who serve and protect our communities, and give them the resources needed to keep Kentuckians safe.
- Religious and Individual Liberty- As a Conservative Christian, my values dictate that we are endowed by our Creator with the unalienable right to freedom- to live peaceably and prosper according to our individual beliefs and precepts. I sponsored and passed HB 254, the Campus Free Speech act in the 2019 General Assembly Session- in order to ensure that 1st Amendment rights are protected at Kentucky's public universities. This bill, which has now been signed into law, was designed to give students the broadest possible latitude to speak, learn, challenge, or engage on any subject without fear of reprisal or academic suppression.
- Sensible, Sustainable Economic Development- I will work with municipal, county, and state leaders to ensure that the infrastructure is in place to foster economic development across the 61st district. Moreover, I will be dedicated to promoting policies that create jobs and opportunity for all Kentuckians.
- Reduce Wasteful Government Spending- In order to achieve long-term fiscal solvency in the state budget, it is imperative that spending is carefully scrutinized in order to allocate resources in a way that doesn't saddle our children with undue tax burdens in the future.
- Put a Stop to the Pension Crisis- With unfunded pension liabilities looming on the horizon, it is crucial that state legislators take measures to ensure a secure and promising future for all Kentuckians. We cannot afford to kick the can down the road any longer- and this problem will require long-term solutions to achieve fiscal solvency in the state budget. I will be dedicated to keeping the promises made to those who have served our communities as teachers, law enforcement, emergency medical personnel, and in many other essential roles. I will work to achieve solutions that transition our retirement system into a model that is both fiscally sound and sustainable for the future. We didn't get into this situation overnight, and it will take strong, diligent leadership to make the tough decisions needed to address this long-standing issue. I will work with you, and I will work for you.
- Open and Honest Government- Transparency is a hallmark or principled, conservative leadership. It is essential to elect leaders who are openly accessible and accountable to those whom they represent, and my core purpose in running for this seat is to restore the role of a servant leader in Frankfort. I pledge to scrutinize every piece of potential legislation with one, concrete approach- "Is this the best course of action for the people I represent?"
- Making Kentucky More Competitive-
I will work to promote policies that allow businesses, small and large alike, to grow and flourish. I would work to remove any ineffective, costly, or antiquated regulations that hamper a business’ ability to thrive. Sensible deregulation will make Kentucky more competitive to attract industry, thus creating jobs. When we have more jobs, we have more taxpayers. Broadening the base will generate more revenue without additional burdens to individual taxpayers.
Paid for by Savannah Maddox for State Representative